The lilac trees found on the campus of Hokusei Gakuen University were introduced to Sapporo in 1890
by Sarah C. Smith, the founder of Hokusei Gakuen Schools.
The trees she brought from her hometown in USA were cut down during The Pacific War.
After the war, new buds sprang out from the roots,
and the lilac has once again become the school flower.